4-H Chick Chain Registration 2019
The Wilson County 4-H Chick Chain is a poultry science program designed to teach participants about poultry production, management, and record-keeping. We provide 4-H’ers (ages 5-18 years old) up to 5 female chicks in the spring that they have pre-selected, and they raise them for 15-18 weeks. In the fall, each participant must choose 1 of his/her chickens to bring back to the show and sale. Once a grand champion is selected, the chickens get auctioned off with proceeds coming back to benefit the 4-H’ers and the poultry program.
There are three age groups for the Chick Chain:
Cloverbuds=5-7 years old (this age group will show and sell their bird, but will only receive a blue ribbon for participation per National regulations).
Juniors=8-13 years old
Seniors=14-18 years old
If you are interested in participating in the 2019 Chick Chain program, follow the steps below:
- Complete your online 4-H enrollment (if you are not a current active member). Log into 4HOnline and create an account.
- Return the Chick Chain registration packet by March 5, 2019. 2019 Chick Chain Registration Packet.
- Attend the Orientation meeting on April 3, 2019.
- Set up your brooder box.
- Pick up chicks when they arrive – tentatively the week of April 8.
- Feed, water, care, and handle your chicks daily.
- Attend the pre-show workshop to learn how to prep and show your bird on October 9, 2019, at 6:30 p.m.
- Bring your best bird to the Wilson County Fairgrounds on November 9, 2019, for check-in (9–10 a.m.). The show will start at 10:30 a.m. We will take a lunch break followed by the auction at 2 p.m.
- Complete your project record book and turn it in BY November 22.